It’s been a while since I’ve had a full-tilt, keep it coming, weekend. But with 70F+ weather in late September, you make hay while the sun shines.
I eased into things Friday after work with some extensive grocery shopping at HyVee. Spend $90, save $0.03 per gallon, woohoo! While I specifically went for some sales, I’m reminded why I stick to Fareway. In and out in 20 minutes. With a boatload of groceries, I navigated the ’59 over to the parents and replaced the heating element in their Maytag dryer. This, just after replacing the motor due to a bad switch only recently. Frankly, the teardown and jostling probably fatigued part of the old element and after a load it gave up the ghost. OK, with that done, I could head home and start my work.
With some decent evening light, I crawled under the Pontiac to confirm the rear axle leak (yes, pinion seal). Installed a replacement wiper motor in the Olds wagon and adjusted the arms (works great!). Tightened up the front brakes on the 59 (no real change). Put in a Rockauto order for a replacement brake booster and the pinion seal in question. Then pulled the agitator in the Frigidaire which had been squawking as of late, to discover broken ears on part of the jet cone. Glued those and put it back together. Then it was time to relax!
I won’t bore you with excruciating details of the rest of the weekend, but I put this list together to remind me how thankful I should be when it’s 10 below zero in just a couple of months.
Folded up picker and took truck over to annex with stuff to store.
Cleaned out the Pontiac trunk and Wagon storage area.
Installed replacement alternator on the Blazer.
Pulled the battery and took it over to the lodge to charge.
Got tractor and moved picker to east side of lodge and set up outriggers.
Scrubbed east Lodge fascias with hot water.
Cleaned up the Annex while fascias dried (now you can actually walk through).
Drained cooling system on the Pontiac (running 100% water).
Hauled old tires and misc over to the Pole Building to store.
Winterized the boat motor and stored in the Annex.
Re-installed the battery in Blazer and attempted jump-start (no go).
Installed new radio silverbox while battery was charging (appears to work).
Unloaded THM-425 trans from truck (ugh)
Painted red beltline on east side of lodge (two coats)
Painted fascias white (much better shape than the west side).
Removed Blazer battery (again) and hauled to lodge (again)
Charged 1st bank of picker batteries after folding up.
Filled, circulated and tested antifreeze (3gal) in Pontiac.
Cleaned and installed dog leg and front pillar L&R trim on Pontiac.
Charged 2nd bank of picker batteries.
Checked for leaks and replaced ceiling tile in kitchen
Put Blazer batt on charger overnight.
Time to grill out!
Attempted to move picker to behind CS3…tractor quit halfway due to low fuel (known leak somewhere in tank seam). What a way to start the day.
Grabbed Blazer batt off charger and installed (again) Success!
Took Blazer to pole bldg and filled up a small gas can to run back to the tractor (and exercised the Blazer a bit).
Got tractor running, continued transport. Put picker in a very tight spot behind CS3 where the boom stands a chance of reaching the back wall without striking it.
Ran tractor back to lodge and tore apart.
Drained/pulled fuel tank, tightened other loose bolts.
Washed, dried, and cleaned inside/outside of tank. Cleaned all fittings, etc in mineral spirits.
Still lots of rust particles present, I put a chain inside and shook it up to break the loose stuff free, followed by vacuuming and force-air drying. Then placed in sun to bake.
With Cara’s help, opened new skid of siding and painted 30 boards (two coats) for CS3 (which I’ll have to put up very soon).
Coated inside of fuel tank with Red Kote fuel tank liner and drained (interesting stuff).
Currently curing inside the lodge (24 hr min).
Time to collapse!