Monday, September 8, 2008

21E

It's good to get away from the every-day, even if you are bound by expectations and obligations on such a trip. Getting yourself to a place you've never been, meeting up with people you scarcely know, and getting yourself cross-country with the risk that your plans could be derailed at any juncture has a way of making just a few days in the physical feel like a million miles in your head. And that's a good thing. Add to that the fact I had a book with me with a title that didn't include the words Construction or Design and it was a very good thing.
 
Came back not only well-versed on the business end of things, but also with a newfound interest and a certain compassion for FLW and his affair with Mamah Chenay. The book? Loving Frank. One of Cara's novels; based on fact but with many degrees of freedom in the prose. Get me on a plane and I'd pull that thing out. Also, got a little head-clearing time as well. And head-clearing leads to inspiration and newfound creativity. I knew it wouldn't last past Monday but any is better than none.
 
Friday, 6AM, I found myself the only "outsider" dropped into the middle of 10 rows of football players on the flight out of Spokane. Good gawd. Left, right, fore, aft, I was surrounded! The fellow to my right kept himself occupied with his iPod and caught some zzz's. The assistant coach? to my left enjoyed lacing together profane utterances toward the end of the flight when it was clear he was READY TO GET OFF THIS THING. Pinned in between, I kept at my reading. The flight out of Denver with the tattoo'd fellow was much better.
 
Driving back through CR I decided to stop off at the habitat store and dropped a small fortune on soap dish holders. I kid you not. Actually, it was a cache of NOS Miami-Carey bath accessories. Some for keeping, others on the 'bay to help those desparately seeking. Finished out the weekend with some construction progress as well. Managed to drill and bolt up the gangway railing (with mucho assistance in getting the thing in place). Installed the last 8' sheathing sheet under the concrete deck (with more help). Connected and tested the internal water system at the lodge (1 slight fitting drip). Knocked out more PVC work to get the wash basin hooked up (1 pc short) while Cara mowed the yard. Managed to assist in breaking up and moving concrete with the neighbor and his loader, planted 6 yews with Cara, sanded and poly'd more of the upstairs door slab, and we worked in a Sunday eve box-store run for more shrubs n' things. Plus pizza and ice cream of course!
 
Today…Rain. And weather turning. Time to firm up my fall lineup before the snow flies!
 
 
 

No comments: