Monday, March 2, 2009

Sour Sequence

There really wasn’t a good reason to be so sour yesterday, and yet by the time evening rolled around, I was simply Not Pleased with Anything.
 
Got up, hefted out the laundry, filled the tank with fuel for the gen and headed for the lodge. Put in a 4 hour shift before coming in for lunch and starting on the copious amounts of laundry we’ve got. This may have been the start of my discontentment, watching usable daylight slip away. Didn’t change the fact that it was only 20F, though. While the machines were humming, Cara brought over the supplies for me to make a batch of my tempting egg-salad.
 
Got through most of the laundry, went back out until dark, realizing along the way how tired I really was. But there’s no good reason for that either. Then, back to the parents to finish up. Grandma stopped by which was nice as we hadn’t seen her in some time. Endured ridicule by the group on my anti-closet policy while I thumbed through the Menards ad waiting on the dryer. Also learned that my other grandma had purchased a 17” PC laptop a couple months ago and I will obviously be expected to help with the matter as sometimes things work, and other times not. This is probably what put me over the edge.
 
Undoubtedly, I am the most vocal Apple enthusiast in the family. Apparently I have no right to be offended when people ignore me (that’s their right), but dear reader, you know how this is going to work out. If I decline to help, stones will be cast upon me like a sequel to The Lottery. Worst. Grandson. Ever. If I do help, it goes against every fiber of my being and my words (all these years) are simply hollow. Why did she buy this computer? There were rebates.
 
I find it a shame for a couple reasons- One, this is her first foray into computing and this experience is only going to reinforce what post-boomers tend to think about computers. Two, she doesn’t have a tech service next door to her. This isn’t going to bode well when she picks up some spyware or a virus, or the registry gets corrupted or she has to figure out the Task Manager on_her_own. In the end, I’m betting this computer gets put aside somewhere because of all the niggling little problems. (BTW, I’m on a PC at the moment, drafting in Word because my Outlook keeps crashing.)
 
Friday night was a blast however. Blew off some steam from the week down at the PL. A couple girls at the bar wanted to know if Ben and I were any good at pool. Any good, ha! So we racked ‘em up and started shooting. This was, however, moments after getting off the phone with Cara and inviting her down (she was getting off work). As you can imagine, the scenario was quite odd but I’m thinking this may have worked to Ben’s advantage. After a couple games we turned the table over to Levi and chummed it up at the bar, discussing marriage, kids, and being ostracized by coworkers for holding atypical views on such. Cara asked Mel her take on things and her response was A1. Ben was agog.
 
Saturday: Re-assembled the medicine cabinet I had re-hab’d, then toiled at the lodge in good spirits. At nightfall, home to cleanup and we set our sights on Applebees. Packed. Fine then, Taco Bell it is! Home again. Shawshank Redemption on LD. Then, a good night’s rest.
 

 
 

No comments: