Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm in the Mood for a Paradigm Shift II

Wednesday: What an utterly crappy day. The skies never cleared and it rained off and on all day, with reports of flash flooding possible from the local creeks. My optimism for knocking out the evening's small lodge tasks started to dwindle as the day went on. I languished at my desk going out of my way to keep occupied, and once home, managed to change and get out there with the returning trailer following me in.
 
The good news was the garage door we installed and stained on Monday still looked good despite the stain being very fresh, and the rain very wet. I set about my tasks, worst being cleaning up tile mortar in preparation for grout. Changed some fluoro bulbs downstairs, took inventory of our oddball tile for the bathroom wall job, filled voids in the front soffit with plasti-wood, confirmed materials for front fascias, etc. etc. The bulk of the 3.5 hours out there was spent rearranging and cleaning up the downstairs. The elephant in the room made itself heard as I stared at things like the router table, table saw, and stacks of building material too useful to toss out, but completely inappropriate to store inside the lodge long term. The PumpHouse is designed to handle outdoor things like the mower, shovels, rakes. But not sheets of plywood nor appliances in-limbo. This is Cold Storage II territory, and I shudder to think about the cost in building that.
 
Around 8 I headed for the parents to pick up Cara's dress. I ended up checking the garage for an AIR pump belt for the ETC, came up with every size but, so figured might as well install the (pricey) one I bought. Frustration time. By 10PM the car was all buttoned up, but I remembered there was one bolt that captured two bracket eyelets behind the alternator. I spent the next 30 minutes fighting to get both brackets inline, even pulling the alt, starting the bolt through both and trying to wrestle it back into position. Was NOT GOING to WORK. I frankly couldn't remember if both had been attached prior or if the last mechanic had the same problem. I should point out, this is a fixed bracket, yet the alt is designed to revolve around a pivot to take up belt slack. You begin to get the picture. With hands black as the night and a frayed temperament, I cleaned up best I could and went home for some sleep.
 

No comments: