Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Red Skelton was Right

A strange week for sure. In the classic style, I'll start with Thursday. Not that I can really recall what happened Thursday, but I'm sure long hours at the lodge were involved. I may have picked up the tempered glass for the shower doors, mid-day. Or Friday. Anyway, this week is different, but I'll get to that. Friday night I was beat and ready to cut loose, or hang loose, or hang ten, or something like that. But decided that I really needed to finish the bulk of the remaining tile job now that I actually had tile. I ended up running right up until the clock was out, went straight to the apt, showered quickly and headed down to meet Ben at the PL. Cam was a no-show but Cara dropped in after work and the three of us ordered up PBR's. I can't say Ben nor I picked up a pool cue the entire night, but that didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves (though they really need a decent alternative to Select on draw).

Sat AM, up and at 'em. Pulled myself together in clean, though grubby appearing construction clothes, and strolled down to the PL to collect my car. Grabbed a bite on the way and gave the iPod a run. Saturday I worked like a mule knowing I'd be staying over night. Stopped at the parents in the afternoon to collect more large items to drag out to the lodge. They followed in their vehicle to lend a hand with tasks they knew they could assist with. Dad and I loaded the trailer with all the sumac I had cut down earlier this year while my mom finished up the last bit of mowing. We also put up fencing around our two trees and dragged the massive dead branches I had cut down from the ash tree over to the burn pile. Then it was interior time - finishing the sisal. They took off and I finished the shower tile and cleaned up. But….sundown was no longer a physiological calling that the day's work was done and I didn't mind pressing onward. So, I grouted the place, and warmed up the oven. The wind began to pick up around 9 as I tried to enjoy a very thin, tasteless pizza on the front deck. The overnight is a blur of tossing, turning, wondering what time the storms were going to blow through, opening windows, closing windows, searching out earplugs, wandering in the dark, etc. etc. When the morning came there was no "sleeping in". Not with umpteen windows and zero curtains.

Sunday was a long smear of tasks punctuated by an aggravating run to Menards for a can of laminate contact cement, but at least it gave me a chance to return the myriad excess items I've had in the wings for a while now. Called it a day around 6 with quite a bit of work behind me. Ready for a reprieve, I fired up the French Connection on LD; neither of us had seen it before.

Monday, on the road to the quad cities. A long day of testing and driving. Made extremely good time on the way back and found myself in CF around 7:30. Alas, blew right by the I-80 Truck Stop. Bed was calling but the conscious refused me to even consider that after an aggregate of 5 hours behind the wheel accomplishing little. Went for a walk with Cara to calm the nerves.

Tuesday, continued need of recharging reared its ugly head, but we tackled the invites and laundry (all Cara) after work. By that time I was in no shape for construction work despite having changed. An hour of daylight left at the most. Tonight'll really sock it to me, but I have to make up for yesterday's list.

Onward, ho!

No comments: