Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Lost Weekends

The "out of my hands" work is underway now with the brick progressing nicely. If all goes according to plan, the final wash will take place tomorrow and we'll be set for caulking and fixture install. Next the cement contractor can start the driveway pad job. Meanwhile, I can begin boring on the east side to sink timbers to support the side deck approach.

Inside, things are moving about as well as can be expected. Fixtures getting built, panels going on. Staining and painting to do. A mad rush for sure. That being as it may, Cara and I had wanted to see Inglourious Basterds and were talked into joining Ben and Cam Friday night. Afterwards, Ben cut out for a more exciting venue leaving the 3 of us to hold our own. PBR and cut-throat followed and we were home a little after 12. Not too shabby for some old folks.

After several days of mulling I've arrived at the following conclusions:

What I liked about the film:
Attention to details.
95% perfect casting.
Tarantino's ability to keep you second guessing with every twist.

What I disliked:
Wooden dialogue.
Length- Once or twice I found myself thinking, "get on with it". 10-20 minutes could have been trimmed.
Inconsistent pacing (and not in a good way)
Character development.

I make these conclusions based on some preconceptions going in. I was expecting Dirty Dozen-Guns of Navarone setup and action coupled with Tarantino's penchant for violence, in-depth character development and his general ability to take even a lackluster setup and somehow manage to crank the knob to 11. Even though a good attempt is made at showing the comraderie and backgrounds of the basterds early on, there was nothing that really stuck with me through the film to cause me to really give a fig about any one in particular. As far as I'm concerned, Hans Landa is the only one that ever delivers on who he really is and isn't just cashing the check. He may be an outright weasel and just plain ful'o hate, but wanting him dead is no less powerful an emotion than wanting any one good guy to live.

As a showcase of skill, talent and expert cinematagraphy, the film doesn't dissapoint, and on those merits I'd consider seeing it again, but I found it terribly difficult to cling to anything the way films such as NCfOM or There Will be Blood, so easily offered up. Even Tarantino's "Death Proof " had me immersed.

No comments: