Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hey! No Statistical Voyeurism!

A bit of a forced weekend it was. Got some things done but mostly I feel like I'm drifting as of late. The realization about the lodge project being more than just the time it took to build, but the time it took to design, the scrimping and saving, the hunt for the land, the build of expectation…everything leading up to groundbreaking, well, there's a lot of personal commitment there extending back beyond the horizon of construction time that's sort of hitting me right now. It's not that I'm not excited for the next stage, it's just that I feel exhausted and I know I shouldn't. There's still things left to do and little energy to do them. And that gets back to a more fundamental problem, err, discussion, about paychecks and jobs and the other little things that take over your life even after you leave the office. Regardless, November is a helluva time to come to terms and simultaneously light the rockets. If I had it my way I'd be looking to curl up in a warm cave for a few months and wait it out.

I buttoned up my 15 month project at work on Friday, had an interview for the next round in the AM, gave a bang-up presentation mid-morning and got rid of A LOT of files I had been dragging around the last couple moves. By the PM the office was pretty quiet and I was in good spirits. I was also looking forward to some pool action at the PL before packing up and heading to the Lodge for the night but it wasn't in the cards. I had gone a little nuts at Target so we ended up with a cornicopia of dinner choices but the buffalo chicken wings turned out to be too hot for Cara. I finally got the Sansui quad unit connected and wire run to all four speakers. Config'd the LD player for CD operation and fired up a song of two from the H&O box set before calling it a night. Yeah, pretty much blown away by the sound.

Saturday and the weather was improving. We took the long way to Waverly, which involved randomly turning down winding gravel roads. At one point I found myself standing in a ditch trying to lure curious horses up to the barb-wire. Found some books at T&T, stopped at the CV humane society to see the pups, did a drive-by past the giant billboard poles from the backside, and explored an abandoned house. That evening, Hamms, pipe, books, music, gun oil.

We slept terribly. Could explain my Sunday malaise. While Cara ran errands I hung out at the ranch. Tore down the WP dryer that had been taking up floor space (gotta keep cleaning house), planted a pine in the side yard, and while I had the shovel out I cut down a high spot of fill near the septic tank. Inside I cut and glued up the bulk of what will be the drain system for the washer area but I still need to pressure test and drag out my copper supply systems from the parents. Upstairs, I reassembled the cage and back of the Emerson and called it quits. Still no HV to light the screen; I need a repair cart and tools out there to get some of this stuff up and running.

No comments: