Monday, May 10, 2010

'82 Oldsmobile

The weekend- Spent most of it sleeping. Well, that's not true….sleep-walking perhaps. I had taken Friday off hoping for decent weather which was not to be. However, it's been a long time that I can say I really slept in; the overcast gray skies and drawn shades gave the illusion it was still 5-something AM despite the morning moving by. Packed boxes, and the Blazer, most of the day as the rain came and went repeatedly. Finally succumbed to taking a load out late in the afternoon and spent an hour or two working on the ETC getting it jacked up, removing exhaust parts and breaking loose the motor mount nuts. I was still feeling a little under the weather from a 24 hour bug but the sleep certainly helped. Got home, hot shower, and met Ben down at the PL. Cam joined in after the crowd died down and we finished the night with pool, drinks and excellent picks on the juke.

Saturday, Ben dropped by early afternoon and gave a hand moving out the bookcase, dresser and one of the couch sectionals. Once again, overcast skies that did nothing to help our resolve. Ben took off for a nap, I went upstairs to continue my indifferent lethargy. Finally, suggesting Cara and I go for a walk, we took a tour of the hill and decided to stroll downtown and pickup a couple half-racks of ribs at Zippy's. They did not disappoint. The evening air was brisk but a walk down some of CF's backstreets reveals some interesting houses and interesting details you wouldn't normally notice. Caught Betty White's monologue and got some sleep.

Imagine my surprise when I threw open the blinds to find sunlight and decent temps Sunday morning. Up and at 'em we grabbed breakfast and stopped by the 'rents on the way to the lodge. I took the opportunity to tear apart Cara's door panel- removed her old cracked-up passenger side mirror, and with a little patience, installed the new one. Put it all back together without breaking anything in the process.

Then to the lodge where we spent the afternoon mowing. I put the pushbar on the new mower for Cara while she got the Maytags started, then it was fightin' time with the Farmall trying to get it to run right; either an intake gasket leak, plugged fuel filter or time for a carb rebuild. Limped her along and cut around 2 acres while Cara must've cut a good 3/4 herself. Then to the road with shovel and saw. The new mailbox is now in place (but for how long?) The sky changed from clear blue to steel-gray as I mended the pasture fence near the gate on my way out.
Still feeling rather indifferent, I indulged in the delcious italian cheese bread and pizza Cara picked up, had some moscato and closed down the eve with a little MadMen.

No comments: