Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sunday

Cold. Damn cold. It's the dampness and the wind that cuts right through you, makes your hands freeze up in minutes. I spent Saturday (which was gorgeous temperature-wise, despite the fog and rain) working on CS3. Specifically rear soffits. I managed to get in a whole lot of blocking and another sheet of plywood up, and most of the outer perimeter soffit and venting before dark. Next I ran into town at the parents and for groceries after the sun decided to set. With cleanup going on out here I had a couple items on eBay that needed wrapping, too. Also returned The Expendables 2 (an entertaining film if you suspend all disbelief..which is the point). Got home and made burgers and onion rings that turned out great for a new recipe (grilling in December?) and pretty much passed out by 10:30.

Today, no sleeping in, soffits to work on and the new thermostat to install. It's 5PM now and my hands are still pretty numb. The rear glass corner eaves are now all set for plywood- the blocking is in and the rough locations for the recessed lights have been figured. I also dismantled 4 of the chem lab desks I picked up from Price Lab and squared the short sides of them so that they can be assembled into one long workbench. The trick there was finding right angles to rip to. 50+ years of use, sanding and re-laquering and you're not dealing with rectangles anymore. I also bid adieu to one of my Bell System switchboards. A gentleman picked it up today for use in a new museum start-up in Palmer, IA. Thank goodness he had a tommy gate on his truck. Before he arrived I figured I'd pull the desk shelf off so it'd fit through my door. Nope. The previous owner epoxied the screws in!! Fortunately, I was able to remove my entry door, strap it to a cart, and manhandle it through without a scratch before he showed.

And now...time for a movie.

No comments: