Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Enter November




Yes, I spent far too many hours at my local insurance agency renegotiating my homeowners coverage and adding protection for the other buildings on the property. In order to get the discounts that mattered, I had to move at least one vehicle from a competing firm, and to get multi-car, we moved a second. There was also lots of 'recalculating' going on as the previous lodge coverage was far out of date. While I trust the competing firm more, it’s nice to have a local rep for all the other insurance and I’ve been with both of them for at least 10 years. Not wanting to leave a stone unturned, it made financial sense to sign up for their credit card (no fees, etc) which essentially adds another discount on top of the quote when used to pay for “insurance products”.

I also found a nice card that returns 3% on gas and 2% on groceries and offers a nice bonus if you spend so much in the first 90 days. Again, no fees or ‘gotchas’. Just pay it off each month and it’s essentially free money on things we would buy anyway. For now I’ll continue to use cash/debit for everything else which makes tracking easier.

And then there’s the big one. On an impulse I sold the roadster. Let’s just say I received an offer I couldn’t refuse…man that was a fun car, but no more monthly payments, and no more silly triple-digit registration fees for plates. I sent her off to the new owners yesterday…hope they’re happy with her.

Meanwhile, I’m just keeping my head down, working my way through the fall and into winter. Trying to finish siding and paint work on the Annex, winterizing the cars, trying to get the wheels in motion for the ag CRP arrangement and doing my best to stay sane at the day job.

No comments: