Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Strip Teaser

Sunday night... hot shower and a shave, cold beer in hand, pizza in the oven and rain falling outside: A refreshing end to a mediocre weekend. 

Friday morning I was pretty ambitious with my plans for the evening. Namely, some late-night lodge work. Trouble was, once I got home, my legs were tired, I was beat, and eventually consigned to laying down for a nap. And ya'll know I am NOT a nap person. I woke up a few hours later (Cara had come home, was equally beat and joined me). I ended up staying in, figuring VCT requirements and colors, and got to sleep at a very decent hour. 

AND, despite getting a jump at the lodge at 7AM the next morning, everything was a struggle. Every job took 3x as long, and some scaffolding slipped and squarely damaged my pristine restored Frigidaire Compact 30 avocado range we had brought out earlier in the week for the kitchen. I pressed on, succumbing to lunch at 1PM, loaded shelving for the apt and whatnot with Cara, and made it back out to the lodge after a minor brain meltdown trying to juggle everything on my plate (it had been a looong day and it was only half over). But things picked up that evening- Cara and I went to the CF Raceway to see The Night of Fire . Smokey burnouts, raging horsepower, packed grandstands (and all proceeds benefitting the Red Cross Flood victims). Watching (and feeling in your chest) two jet-engined toothpicks fitted with wheels race against each other was icing on the cake!

We then ventured onward to Janesville only to discover overpriced beer and bad music at Janesville Days. We headed back to CF and suitably warned Ben not to head up to JV. Interestingly enough, Dave Cox and Becca were in town and having drinks with Cam...so we meandered over for a couple and had a grand time. Fun evening, but I still felt I hadn't earned it.

Sunday turned out pretty well though. Quick lodge visit with Cara to decide on flooring/color requirements after laundry and breakfast at the parents'. Then onward to Lowes for new blades for the planer. 60 bucks lighter for some stinkin' 12.5" blades. We took care of business at Menards (and enroute to W'loo,  Walmart and FarmFleet) and left as the rain was falling. I went BACK out to the land around 5 and things clicked into place. Sanding, painting, planing and lotsa progress on the drop-ceiling too. Finally, some achievement. For being so great though, it'd be nice if it were really Saturday!

No comments: