Monday, November 3, 2008

If I could sum up the weekend: Fantastic weather coupled with fantastic lethargy!
 
Actually, Sunday really kicked us in the hindquarters. One of those gloomy but temperate days that somehow steals your soul. But let me back up for a moment. The great race started Thursday I suppose. I had been trying to finish up some lodge tasks all week that just weren't coming together before nightfall. Ended up taking off Wednesday afternoon and getting lots done. Thursday after work I discovered I had left the powertool batteries back at the apt. This was pretty infuriating so I made do till dark installing insulation, then decided this would be a good night to air up, hitch up and take the trailer over to the box stores to return some lumber that had crooked and pick up the uber-expensive aggregate panels that would not fit in the Blazer (ask how I know). I found out the C-57 bridge was closed so the detour took me to the north bridge now open after several YEARS of construction. Basically to head to Lowes I had to drive to Janesville first. Swell. Things did go better from there though and I made it to the apt a little after 9 after a slow and deliberate drive back from Waterloo trying to keep the aggregate in place. Unhitched things and collapsed!
 
I should also mention the day job has been in full swing this week, compounding the exhaustion. But how can a guy sit on his laurels knowing snow will be flying very soon? So, I had been looking forward to blowing off a little steam Friday night. I ended up with a fix for my two soffit planes not wanting to meet perpendicularly and worked with that after work till dusk then a swing by the parents and some cleanup at the apartment. I forgot to mention I've still been dealing with the utilities' shenanigans which is cause for much gray hair as well; should know more today.
 
Anyway, met up with Cam and Ben at the PL with a visit from Cara and her friend. Saw some pretty good costumes. Some pretty bad costumes too. Me? No one could tell if I was in costume or not! My dracula-like incisors gets 'em everytime! No pool antics, unremarkable swill and a penchant for early Macintosh discussion with Ben inevitably lead us to any place that could serve up some pineapple pizza. Lucklily, the OP's kitchen was still open. I had brought along my rotary cell phone which came in handy for calling a couple local eateries (and bewildering fellow patrons). Pretty sure Cam had had a rough day as well so he left Ben and I to our own devices; we ventured to the hill. Full house! (yes, Bob Sagget). Actually, the crowd was packed in the front of the OP leaving open tables at the rear. And I do mean packed. Ben and I were the last two allowed in per capacity rating. After realizing service might be a little…slow, I hatched a plan. Mojo's walk-up-window for slices of sausage pizza and further discussion at a not-so-packed Library. This begs the question..at what point will they get something decent on tap?
 
Saturday, a day full of shopping: Construction clothes, mattresses, eons sorting through 1-by lumber. Replacing the two Dewalt batteries that have served me so well, to the tune of a C-note and change.
 
Then Sunday, time for brass tacks. Cara spent the bulk of the afternoon staining the west upper side of the lodge with the picker. I was working on the red beltline on the side door overhang and later pulled out the masonry blade to cut up the first aggregate panel. Neither of us were making much progress and really would have preferred to be any other place but there, but knowing darkness would fall at 5PM once the week started and having such great temps to work in, we made due. After giving a tour to the grandparents shortly before sundown we all headed in for pizza (with pineapple!) and I finally saw a chance to pull out the SE/30. It sprang to life without any tweaking and reminded me just how "crisp" using the Mac once was. This was system 7.5.5 of all things, not even 6.0.8. I found the original Cosmic Osmo disks upstairs and successfully loaded them along with HyperCard and Cara and I entertained ourselves until sleep called.
 
 

No comments: