Monday, February 2, 2009

Blockin' the Blues

Never trust a month that only occupies four lines on the calendar. This February is going to be a flash in the pan as far as I can tell. Just enough time to see some improvements made, and one big step closer to Spring, without the lethargic waltz March puts on that makes you want to pound your fists and shout "enough already! Get on with the thaw!".
 
We had a break in last week's cold streak that let me get some construction work done on Thursday, with a solid Saturday and Sunday encore. I know I've mentioned it before, but the only thing equally as irritating as not being able to finish off big tasks due to temperatures (anything involving grout, thinset, paint or adhesive) is not being able to polish off big tasks due to being limited to materials that can only be carried in by hand. If it's heavy, awkward or fragile (like the large panes of glass I'm ready for) then I'm just SOL. On the bright side, temps were in the mid-30's this weekend which allowed me to sand and shellac the woodwork upstairs. Cara came out Saturday and I helped her with a project she's been wanting to do- make a notebook with wood covers. Garage door #1 is now 95% complete, with the skins of panel #2 firmly glued and nailed in place. A followup around the perimeter with the router will cut the luan flush.
 
I gave the old eb#y a spin last week and dumped a load of excess….stuff..onto the interwebs to see who'd bite. Slow market indeed. Though a couple items are finding happy bidders. And if nothing else, such an activity does a fine job of bringing out the total internet junkie in me, checking ten times a day to see if anything's new in the sales department. Remind me to avoid Mesquaki.
 
In the blowing-off-steam department, it was a fine weekend. Vic's, E-dale Casey's, and the PL were the places to be Friday night. I would have rated Vic's pretty good if not for the lighting. Neon accents and carpetted interior? Excellent. Then add compact fluorescents sunken into dark stained cedar. Ugh.
 
Sat nite Cara and I closed out the Hydrant, finding several bizarre opportunities to test our dance skills. By the time we arrived for dinner Ben and Cam had already found a booth. Spectacular showing by "wild Bill" on the karoake over the course of the eve. I told Ben I was going to make it an early night but I was having an uncharacteristically good time and knew I'd be too pooped to pop next weekend. The "bucket brigade" hit the spot, and Cara was in good spirit, too. Not only that, but I was the winner of a rare opportunity on that auction site mentioned before. A 1985 Eldorado Touring Coupe. Tough to have a bad time, really. All-in-all, I'm totally exhausted.

No comments: