Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Willy Wirehand Makes The Grade!

Today's installment brought to you by Charlie Fubar Utilities!

I swear, the PoCo must have it out for me. There's a good chance they've got a note on file that says "troublesome customer" whenever they pull up my account. Once again, good intentions foiled!

I dropped in to pay the latest bill for the Lodge, and, being that a meter reader could NOT make it out there, they estimated usage by simply copy-pasting the month's prior usage (which I had phoned in prior, thus, accurate). The difficulty here was that I had used a good deal less power this month than the month before so they overshot my total owed. Getting a correction later in the season when someone WOULD be able to make it to my meter would be one option; BUT, the colder months like this are subject to greater "cost adjustment" fees than when the weather warms up so I'd ultimately be getting overcharged.

Easiest fix? Supply them with the current reading, which I had!

Oh no. First, I was told any supplied reading would HAVE to be verified and that I could schedule a reading. (Did I mention I'd given them readings before?) Yet again I explained this meter was rather....difficult...to get to. Fought two different women over the matter. The former explaining the cost adjustment fees were fixed, then casually mentioned they had recently gone up. (Yes, that's refreshing.) The latter blinded by the fact that the reading I had supplied was taken this weekend (thus beyond the billable period). It just would not register that if she plugged my number in, any "excess" usage between the end of billable period and now, would automatically correct on the next reading, AND they'd have an actual number to both bill, and estimate from. Sigh.

I finally gave up, handed over my debit card, and listened to a lecture about how I could phone in a reading between the 25th and the 4th.

Something tells me I'll be hard pressed to use 150kWh of power at the lodge in the next 10 days.

Then again, maybe they were trying to baffle me with bullshit. If so, they succeeded!

No comments: