Monday, August 30, 2010

Music into Gold

What a weekend! Should've been relaxing, but some sort of inner angst that I can't quite put my finger on had me feeling a touch under the weather (or just beat).

Friday, got out of work at a decent time and hit up M*nards for a cartful of supplies, half of which were grocery items. I returned the small impact gun which failed in the first week of use, only to discover that model is no longer being carried. Supplanted no doubt, by something pricier.

For such a nice evening I had thought about having the gents out to the lodge but with Cara's schedule it made more sense to hit up the PL. Had a grand time, spent too much but the juke had us rolling. Cam dropped in but was quiet for the most part. Cara came by and discovered some coworkers. All-in-all a good way to blow off a little steam from a long week.

Saturday I decided to make my own. Got breakfast going, made some macaroni salad, got laundry running and worked on a shopping list for the Fleet Farm. Hung everything out on the line around lunchtime and hit up Waverly. Picked up a pair of 12v lamps for the tractor, in small GE blue and yellow corrugated boxes reminiscent of the 60's. The computer text on the label side told me they were newish..actually they were 20 years old. Still, you could feel the quality in your hands. Also grabbed a mini grease gun and other maintenance essentials, a few pairs of work pants, etc. Scored well at T&T, including a Tupperware bowl from '54, a GE stainless 60's coffee urn, a blue heaven baking dish and a stack of reel-to-reel releases. By the time I hit evil W*lmart for wine and razors, I was beginning to drag. Weather was gorgeous, however, so I cruised home at 50 or so in the Olds, and greased up the tractor in the shade. Mowed the DI area and called it a day.

Sunday, not sure what went wrong. Plenty of sleep, up at 9, and zero motivation. Nevertheless, I strapped myself to the power tools the rest of the day and have the sunburned back to prove it. Things were really heating up temp-wise inside, but a steady breeze from the south made working outside the side door quite tolerable. In between cuts, measurements upstairs, and routering, I caught 'Eddie and the Cruisers II' in 5 minute chunks. 1 word: Predictable. But worth it as an unintentional documentary of the Springsteen era. Also cut a new door for the pumphouse to replace the temp siding "door". A few coats of paint and it'll be ready to hang.

Somehow managed to put away all the heavy equipment and clean up moments before Cara came home. Decided it was make-or-break time and installed an additional light in the kitchen over the counter adjacent to the sink while she rested. The install went almost too smoothly.

With a superb late summer evening still to come, we took the wagon into town to the parents for chit-chat and a visit by my grandma. Snuck a peak at the basement (where is my Akai R2R?) and made a quick mental note: double the size of CS2). Stuck around 'til dusk before heading back.

Fall is coming.

No comments: