Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lightning Round!

A four day week and I feel like I've been through the wringer. It's been a combo of taking advantage of this week's decent weather, some lack of sleep, and staying busy at work. Having Monday off I really went to town at the lodge. It was so much easier when I could drive up to the damn thing (merely a memory) and start working, but that's just how it is. Things came along all right but being in a generally sour mood right now, I wince when approaching the place and see the spilt paint splashed on the west siding (that had received a nice solid stain this fall). And some angst at how the fascias have turned out. With the proper paint detailing I think they'll look a lot better, but this is the first time I can't stand back after finishing the job and say, "exactly". The trouble? They look uncharacteristically (compared to the rest of the place) too damn thick.
 
To add insult I landed the Blazer in the cornfield yesterday in an impressively deep slab of snow. Not intentionally. The lane was decent until I rounded the second bend. Then it was all over. The melting snow and 35F temps fooled me into thinking I stood a chance of actually attempting a drive-in. An hour with the shovel and snow up over the axles (and up to my waist on one side) has me stuck until a decent freeze this weekend. How to get it out will be a real headscratcher as you can't get any other vehicle close enough without getting them stuck as well (don't ask how I know that). 100' tow strap, anyone? More insult- I got up early to shift my schedule at work to take advantage of the warm temps. That didn't exactly happen after this little fiasco.
 
And, I had to turn down a particularly sweet set of turquoise Frigidaire appliances this week that would have been ideal for the lodge kitchen but it would just be too costly to haul them both back….my trailer of course being snowbound for the season. On the upside, the kitchen cabinets are looking good. Managed to get the drawers assembled and installed last night after putting up the last sheet of lauan paneling. 
 
That's about it. Down week, late nights, early mornings, stupid moves, but things are sure to shape up here this weekend. With fingers crossed for hard ground, suddenly a high of 5F is a good thing. Funny how perspectives can change.
 

No comments: