Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Capitalist Pig-Roast

(Monday)

Today is a break day, and none-too-soon. Temps will be in the 90's with ridiculous humidity; inside work will feel much worse. Plus, my arms ache, my legs ache and frankly, I'm beat. A/C in a bedroom at night can make for some solid sleep. We do not have A/C in the bedroom. Anyway, after work I'll pick up the laundry, fill a 5gal bucket with water, hit the lodge and wet down the slab. Then home for some much needed ironing (with living room A/C).

Successful weekend though! Cara and I finished up the prep-work Saturday AM for the pumphouse slab and the cement truck was right on time. That went well, too. Everything on today's trucks is hydraulically actuated, including the up/down and left/right control of the hopper shute. So, the truck operator got into position up in the cab with a line-of-sight to me. Using hand signals he was quick to respond to my whims of moving the truck and the shute to get the corners of the triangular pad and get it up over the well casing. In no time we had it screeded and floated. We cleaned up as the late morning heat was coming on and took the afternoon off (crazy, I know) hitting up the thrift shops and came home with some goods. We made a couple return trips to mist the cement and had dinner at my grandma's before meeting Ben and Cam at the PL. The air conditioning was a pleasant reprieve from our toiling but the place was deadsville.

Promising I wouldn't go overboard on the work-front this weekend I slept until 9 or so on Sunday, made eggs, caught the McLaughlin Group (been a LONG time), did more laundry at the parents' while Cara was running errands and cleaning the apt, and ventured out to the lodge for electrical and plumbing work. Toiled 'til a bit after 7 before reminding myself I should probably head in for dinner and obligations at home. Props to Cara for giving the wood floors the full treatment!


No comments: