Friday, August 1, 2008

Make mine a Schlitz

Drinkin' coffee like it's 1999. Whatever that means. Actually, what it means is that I’m having a hard time staying awake this morning and only the precious caffeine of a hot cup of cafeteria-approved joe will do the job. Nevermind the fact that it'll feel like 120F outside very shortly.

Worked past 9 last night at the lodge. I suppose it was a victory. For kicks I installed the 8-pack of USG "radar" tiles, scored from the local university sale earlier that day, into the kitchen grid. It didn't remind me of corporate-land at all. In fact, it drudged up a detail hidden in my head for at least a decade. These were the same size, pattern and brand of tiles of the "new" addition to Hansen school when I was an elementary youngster. Now I need to find a few more that can match the bleach-white freshness of these.

Also a note to self- VCT adhesive….it's sticky. Laid out the perimeter tile rows in the kitchen to good effect. Originally the perimeter was supposed to be entirely red, like an orangey-firethorn red. Problem is, that color was discontinued years ago. Likely from the late 80's juding by the font on the box. And it was only a half-box too. But I made do by mixing in some charcoal Armstrong's. Got everything glued down, soaked my arms in mineral spirits to get the glue off, and gathered the umpteen paper towel scraps clinging to both me and the subfloor. This stuff is suspiciously like rubber-roof cement.

Got home but wasn't quite ready to throw the towel in for the night. I made it to the Conan monologue before bailing. What kept my attention? I couldn't stop reading the posts on hacking the '05 and up STS Nav system. There were 100+ pages; these guys were devoted. Finally I asked myself, "what am I doing?", and went to bed. Lest you think I’m entirely insane there is an '05 STS in the parent's stable now.

Friday normally brings PAW but I may have to pass tonight. I've slated for a half day in the office today. I think a lot of guys pull that one to get in a few rounds at the country club but I'll be mowing, sawing and moving dirt trying to build a proper formwork for the Pumphouse slab. Cement truck rolls in tomorrow AM bright and early and I'm not sure how long this is going to take.

More info on the local housing demolition in the next entry.


*9PM Update: Turns out I am insane. Paid 70 bucks for bags of sand. Flippin' sand.

No comments: