Monday, August 25, 2008

My advice to you is to start drinking.


We've had our share of dewey mornings this summer but driving off to work this AM was the first time this season I felt a chill with the window cracked. Reminded me of those days heading to school with hallway echoes, that slightly humid smell of old walls and air handlers trying to keep up with a tide of juveniles, people rushing to get to their class before the bell or gawd forbid!, mixed with an odd feeling of trepidation. It's also a sure sign fall is practically here. Of all the months this year, August seemed to move by the quickest; we have one week left!
 
My goal this year has been to get the lodge into "livable condition" by the time the snow flies. In fact, those are the exact words on my schedule. What that means is maybe I won't be living out there in the middle of January but at least the place should be turn-key ready with upstairs and down finished to allow moving in all my "stuff" by then. That includes trees planted, overhead doors built and installed, functional plumbing, floors and wall coverings complete, a kitchen with cabinets and appliances, soffits and fascias, etc. So why wouldn't I be living out there in January? One word: Electricity.
 
Rec'd the official estimate recently to drop electrical service to the lodge. Now, I've come to stomach the fact that all things "major" in this project seem to run about $5k every time one comes up. I could only wish this were the case with power. So, while I'm ready and wired, I've got a couple cables dangling in the wind, so to speak. For what they're asking, I could potentially go "off the grid". Only problem is, I'm a heavy user…I'm wired to run three electric clothes dryers at once should the mood strike! (don't tempt me) Solar, wind and battery banks would have a tough time with this lifestyle. Not to mention my electric heat and water.
 
So, it's time to hit the books, run the numbers, and determine requirements. Had I thought about generacs and wind turbines in the past? Of course. But now I can rationalize dropping a sizable chunk on alternatives. At least we had a very productive weekend on other fronts and some fun to boot. Coldest beer I've had in a long time!

1 comment:

MCM King said...

I would think that it would be in the electric utility's best interest to give you some kind of a deal on the installation of the power lines-after all, the wires connecting you to them guarantee a customer. When was the last time you have heard of anyone switching electric companies?